Tuesday, April 21, 2009

American Idol - Top 7 Performance Show, Take 2

Disco night! And as Ryan must explain to us, THE STAKES ARE TREMENDOUSLY HUGE AND IMPORTANT THIS WEEK! Two people go home tomorrow night since the judges save was invoked last week.

No video packages this week? Hurray! Let's get to the music and try to actually finish on time!

Lil Rounds - "I'm Every Woman" by Chaka Khan
She may have actually done it this week!! Picked a good song, trying to do her own thing with it. Not loving the bridge right now, but I liked it leading into the bridge. Whatever they say about her singing, they can't deny that her weave/wig is FABULOUS this week. Loving watching who I assume is her mom tell off the judges with every comment they make. It was pretty good. I think she may be done though.

Kris Allen - "She Works Hard for the Money" by Donna Summer
This is going to be cool. Because Kris is cool. I don't know if the judges will like this. I think it's awesome because I'm a total geek for changing up songs like this. BREAKDOWN with the drums! Nice. That was great!! Go Kris. Kara likes it. Paula likes it, though she uses a weird shopping analogy. Simon likes it. And Randy likes it. That was outstanding. I may buy that single from iTunes. 1-866-IDOLS-02

Danny Gokey - "September" by Earth, Wind & Fire
I LOVE this song. It doesn't sound like he's going to bring anything new to the arrangement. Never mind. He's bop bop bopping and changing the melody. His voice sounds great on this song. Cool little breakdown/song insertion after the bridge. He's also dancing much better than at the beginning of the season. Nicely done. Randy makes a good point on him changing the melody. 1-866-IDOLS-03

Allison Iraheta - "Hot Stuff" by Donna Summer
Starting on the stairs and they are bright red. That's a new one. Good stage usage. Rocked out version of this song. Sounds like something Gwen Stefani would do. Evidently, Miley Cyrus is telling everyone on Twitter to vote for Allison. I'm sure that's a good thing on some level, right? She did a good job with this. Memorable, good vocals, fun performance. 1-866-IDOLS-04

Adam Lambert - "If I Can't Have You" by The Bee Gees
Didn't think I knew which song he was singing, but now that he's started, I know it. Adam suited up tonight and started out in falsetto. This is always a good thing. He's wearing a weird knuckle ring on his microphone hand. Going into rock sound on the chorus. Totally changed the melody in the chorus too. FANTASTIC! Nice, nice. Paula may start crying soon. Definitely buying this one. 1-866-IDOLS-05

Matt Giraud - "Stayin' Alive" by The Bee Gees
R&B version of this song while rocking the Justin Timberlake hat. He's singing it well. Cool riffs on the melody. The judges may split on this one. This arrangement is okay, but not great. Rough following Adam here. He's having fun and sounds good. Much better than last week.

Aside - I think they're still letting Paula watch rehearsals. Her comments & analogies are way too thought out to be off the cuff coming from her. At least in my opinion.

Anoop Desai - "Dim All the Lights" by Donna Summer
Don't love it. Definitely does not deserve the pimp spot. When he was trying to get the audience clapping, he started clapping on the 1 & 3. Lame. He's slightly pitchy in some of the high stuff. Yeeouch at the end! Not good. I disagree a bit with the judges - except Simon. I'm right with him on most of it. Not Anoop's worst performance, but I really didn't love it.

--------------------------
Bold Predictions -

Disco Divas & Divos - Kris Allen, Danny Gokey, Allison Iraheta, Adam Lambert
Disco Wannabes - Matt Giraud
Get off the Dance Floor - Lil Rounds, Anoop Desai

Make sure you vote! Two people are going home tomorrow. I'm hopeful it's Lil and Anoop, but I think it will be Lil and Matt.

I'm a huge fan of the text voting. I texted my votes in while I watched this back on Tivo. It was awesome. Thanks, AT&T! :)

5 comments:

Macy said...

I feel compelled to clarify something...
I DO NOT FOLLOW MILEY CYRUS ON TWITTER. I read about her encouraging people to vote for Allison Iraheta on Rickey.org.

I feel better now that I got that off my chest. Thank you.

Aaron H. said...

HA!

Molly said...

Thank you for clearing up that whole Miley Cyrus thing. I was very shocked, but now I'm okay.

Whitney said...

Totally agree. Kris, Adam, Alison and Danny in the finals. I think the judges -- JUUUST might regret having used their save last week.

We'll see!

Britt said...

I don't know how you can watch american idol...i get so jealous.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin