Tuesday, April 28, 2009

American Idol - Top 5 Performance Show

Rat Pack/American standards tonight. Nice touch to have the band onstage. The kids don't know who the mentor is this week, and they're anxiously awaiting the mentor's arrival. It's Jamie Foxx. Not gonna lie - that's impressive.

Just saw the first commercial for So You Think You Can Dance! YAHOO!!!! I will admit, I get a little giddy every year when I see the first commercials. I'm kind of a dork. Not as big of a dork as my sister, but a dork nonetheless.

Kris Allen - The Way You Look Tonight
Jamie loves Kris! Me too! Me too! That was beautiful and fun and awesome. Good rendition of a song that is done an awful lot. FANTASTIC note at the end. Killer. Awww...he made his mommy cry. Cool article about Kris in USA Today earlier today. The judges like it. I'd like to thank Paula and Kara for dressing and doing their hair to match the theme. Love that Kris' dad rolled his eyes when they cut to his parents. 1-866-IDOLS-01 or 1-866-IDOLS-06

Allison Iraheta - Someone to Watch Over Me
Jamie is one of the better mentors I've seen. Actually giving useful vocal and performance advice. She's singing it well, but I'm feeling like her performance is a little affected. She's closing her eyes for no reason at times where it isn't necessary. The studio audience loved it though. Randy thought it was dope. I'm more with Simon - I think she's been in the bottom so much because she's tough to relate to.

Matt Giraud - My Funny Valentine
He looks nervous. I'd be nervous. This is a HARD song to sing. I wish he'd stood up earlier in the song. It gave him some energy that I think was missing from the first half of the performance. Excellent job on the big note Jamie said he should sing.

Danny Gokey - Come Rain or Come Shine
Seriously - Jamie Foxx is the best mentor I've ever seen work with these kids. Any season. I always like Danny, but he's much better than usual. He's not oversinging, and he's a lot more genuine than usual. Genuine may be the wrong word, but it's the only one I can come up with. Tha blues stuff at the end was ridiculous. Awesome. He looked like he had more fun tonight than he has all season. 1-866-IDOLS-04 or 1-866-IDOLS-09

Adam Lambert - "Feelin' Good"
Adam's rocking a white suit and using the stairs. I love the Michael Buble version of this song. Kind of sounds similar to that version, actually. The arrangement anyway. Adam has more rock timbre in his voice, obviously. THAT NOTE at the end! That is just impressive. The dude can sing his face off. He's just an outstanding performer. 1-866-IDOLS-05 or 1-866-IDOLS-10

Jamie Foxx for the win!

Just kidding. Kind of. I think this is a week where the mentor actually made a difference in the performances. That's not usually the case, in my opinion.

------------------
Here we go - favorite performance to least favorite performance:

1. Danny Gokey
Adam Lambert (it's a tie. I tried to choose. I couldn't.)
3. Kris Allen
4. Matt Giraud*
5. Allison Iraheta

*Vote for the Worst pick this week

I think it's Matt or Allison going home this week. Probably Allison. If it is, this will be the first all male top 4, I believe.

2 comments:

scooping it up said...

When are you going to predict the top two? I can't handle not being able to decide between Danny and Kris. (Adam is obvious, I hope, stupid America who didn't choose other obvious ones like Katherine McPhee and Melinda Doolittle.) I am SO done with Allison. She breathes every 2 words and it bugs me. Someone get her a voice coach and some phrasing.

Dana said...

Na Na Na Nah! Girl, I am so excited too! I can't wait. Can we have an opening night party where I no one is dieting?!!? So excited.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin