Tuesday, March 17, 2009

American Idol - Top 11 Performance Show

I'm not loving the lineup I'm seeing - lots of favorites near the front. And I still don't love the judges walking out from backstage. Maybe I'll get used to it, but I doubt it.

It's a big week! The top 10 get to go on the summer tour. A six figure summer gig? Not so bad. We're celebrating the Grand Ole Opry tonight. Pretty rough to put the country week so early in the rotation. People are known to crash and burn. Randy Travis is our helper tonight.

Bring on the songs!

Michael Sarver - "Ain't Goin' Down 'til the Sun Comes Up"
This song is really hard rhythmically. I don't mind that he's first. He's not a favorite of mine. I was a little bored. It's not a difficult melody at all. And he's a little behind on the rhythm in a couple places.

It looks as though their lineup for the camera at the beginning of the show was in opposite order of the way they are actually singing - Michael Sarver was last in line and he sang first. I'm no longer alarmed by the order I saw at the beginning of the show.

Allison Iraheta - "Blame it On Your Heart"
I like this song a lot. Allison - don't do the dance. She's a little behind the band at the beginning. This is a good song choice for her though, I think. It doesn't sound completely out of place with her vocal style. I wish she'd gone for a bigger high note at the end.


Kris Allen - "To Make You Feel My Love"
He's got such a great voice. I'm worried the judges are going to think this is boring. He was a little shaky on the falsetto at the end. Glad Simon didn't think it was boring, because it sounded great. 1-866-IDOLS-03

Lil Rounds - "Independence Day"
The R&B singers never do so well on country week. This is a killer song. I love it. I hope she sings it well. I don't love her dress for this song. I also want her to do something else with her non-mike hand. (Rickey over at Rickey.org is going to be worried about the red lights. He has a theory that when they give you red background lights, your chance of getting voted off goes up dramatically. He actually has some evidence to back it up.) I really didn't love that. I am glad she tried to sing more country style, but it didn't work for me.


Adam Lambert - "Ring of Fire"
Randy Travis' reaction to the arrangement was awesome. Adam really works the camera. I would appreciate it if the glam squad would maybe throw some Proactiv his way. It could help. It helped Jessica Simpson, after all. I don't completely love this arrangement, but his voice is KILLING me. He's amazing. Holy crap. I think Simon was a bit harsh. I do think Adam is going to draw the ire of country lovers. But he gets my vote for vocal technique and pyrotechnics alone. 1-866-IDOLS-05.

Scott MacIntyre - "Wild Angels"
Another Martina McBride song. Scott's at the piano again. Probably good. I find it awkward when he sings straight into the camera. They've given his hair a little bit of help this week. Thanks, Glam Squad! I've never heard this Martina song before. I like it. Paula is annoying.

Alexis Grace - "Jolene"
This is a great song. Good story song. She sounds great - maybe she shouldn't walk and sing at the same time. It seems to be causing support problems on certain notes. Maybe it's just me. It's scary how much she looks like a young Dolly Parton.



Danny Gokey - "Jesus Take the Wheel"
I hope he doesn't destroy the lyrics. He sure messed up a lot with Randy Travis. I'm not loving the white coat he's wearing. He's rocking the chorus. I didn't love this song choice for him, but I adore his voice.


Anoop Desai - "You're Always On My Mind"
Rough start for a minute. It's fixed now. He sounds pretty good on this song. He's got a great voice. I still have a hard time reconciling his image with his voice. I'm interested to see what the judges think of this one. Glad they like it so much. I think he was deserving. I think they really want him to go on the tour. Michael Sarver is in trouble, I think. 1-866-IDOLS-09

Megan Joy - "I Go Walking After Midnight"
Evidently she has changed her name. This might be a good song for her. She has such a unique sound. I don't love it all the time. There were spots on this song where I really liked it. She looks fabulous. Singing when you're sick like that is crappy. Poor thing.


Matt Giraud - "So Small"
I just love Matt. I'm a sucker for great musicians. He did a great job with that song. The judges are feeling the love too.

----------------
Bold Predictions -

Bottom 3 - Michael Sarver, Allison Iraheta, Lil Rounds or maybe Alexis Grace
Going Home - Michael Sarver


For fun: USA Today has a fun American Idol prediction meter. Check out last week's meter here.

Another article of interest: The top four are picked already? Read more.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin