Monday, August 11, 2008

Notes from New York - Monday (Part 2)

Or:
Just When You Thought It Was Safe to Go Outside

The rain finally stopped and G-Man was standing by the door and pointing that he wanted to go outside. His stroller wasn't dry yet, but I figured if we didn't go out soon I was going to go crazy with all of the grunting and pointing at the door.

We decided to go on the Great Donut Pilgrimage to seek out the Doughnut Plant. As you may know, I have a great affinity for donuts. I would say I'm a connoisseur of sorts. I saw a feature on the Doughnut Plant on Food Network and then again on Throwdown with Bobby Flay. They have a tres leches donut. I want one. So, we set off downtown.

On our way downtown, we passed Madison Square Park. It was lunchtime, and the line was short. So, I got in line at the Shake Shack. After the adventures of the morning in the rain, I felt I deserved a Shack Burger and a shake. We ordered our food and walked around to wait by the pick up window.

Guess what? It happened again.

Luckily, I had the umbrella with me again and I stood over G-Man so he wouldn't get wet.

Then the Florida rain started again. Just as they called my number and I had to move the stroller with one hand to the pickup window and then back to our temporary shelter on the side of the building. I took a couple pictures with my cell phone of the insanity:

The Pick Up Window
Eating fries in the rain

I don't know why New York hates me right now, but I am sorry for whatever I have done to make it so mad at me.

We waited out the storm next to the Shake Shack. At that point, Diggity was in the middle of a phone interview back in the hotel room. The sun was out, so I figured we might as well keep heading for the Doughnut Plant. We walked over to 3rd Avenue and started walking downtown. We walked through questionable neighborhoods back into nice neighborhoods and on and on until we reached Chinatown. Then we headed West. We kept walking and walking and walking until it felt like we were going to walk into Brooklyn when we finally found it.


Yes, that is a metal gate in front of the door. In case you can't read the door, here's a closeup.


Yes, like any good bakery, they are closed on Monday. Did I think of this before? No. Did I double check the hours when I looked up the address this morning? Nope.

We took a taxi back to the hotel. I guess it's a good thing we are leaving for DC tomorrow. I can only hope that DC doesn't hate me as much as New York does.

5 comments:

Molly said...

Are you going to try to go back or save it for your next trip?

Macy said...

I have determined the donut gods don't want me to have a tres leches donut on this trip. I'm going to have to try on another trip. We leave for DC pretty early in the morning, anyway. I don't think I could get clear down there and then back to Penn Station in time to check my luggage for the train.

Stacie said...

Ok, I am so late, but I've been at Bear Lake (you know) and am finally catching up with stuff. I LOVE all your vacation posts! Seriously Macy, New York DOES hate you. I'm sorry. But it sounds like you are having a lot of fun anyway!

P.S. I'm so excited Joshua won, too!

Yvonne said...

I didn't know bakeries are closed on Monday??? Sorry you didn't get your donut.

Have fun in DC.

Michal said...

i worked in a bakery for years and we were closed on sundays. bummer for you that wasn't the case here. i can't believe you did all of that and didn't even get to have the donut.
okay, so am i lame that i have no idea what diggity has been doing in nyc? rehearsals, press conferences, conference calls . . . maybe it was buried in one of the sytycd posts that i don't read?:) sorry. anyway, fill me in.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin