Monday, August 11, 2008

Notes from New York - Monday (Part 1)

Just When You Thought This Trip Couldn't Get Any Crazier

Diggity's rehearsal ran late and he didn't get back to the hotel until midnight last night. G-Man was already peacefully asleep in the bathroom. Until he woke up at 3:00 a.m. and wanted a bottle and when I was putting him back in the crib and he was lying down he hit his head on the toilet and started to wail and so I put him in bed with us.

Diggity had to be at the press conference early, so got ready and left by 8:00 a.m. G-Man and I hung out for a while watching the Olympics. We had plans to meet up with Wade again later, but I wanted to find a good diner for breakfast. One quick internet search later, we were on our way to The Comfort Diner on 45th Street just off 3rd Avenue.

As we were leaving, I looked outside and decided to grab the umbrella that Diggity had left behind. It was cloudier than when he left, and I just thought it would be smart to bring it.

We had a lovely morning walk, a delicious breakfast at the diner and started walking to the Disney Store on 5th Avenue to kill some time until we heard from Wade. As we crossed Madison Avenue on our way to 5th, and I was thinking the clouds looked a little spooky - a bolt of lightning struck right above our heads, immediately followed by a clap of thunder. We turned right around and headed down Madison toward our hotel on 40th Street. Between 43rd and 42nd, it started to rain. I put my camera bag and everything else under the stroller and got out the umbrella. It wasn't raining hard yet, but I had a building awning to work with, so I thought I should get prepared. At 42nd, it started raining a little harder. At 41st, it got really ugly, but the rain was being blocked by the building, so it wasn't too bad. As we made our way to 40th, it started DUMPING. Midwestern rain. Florida rain. Then we turned onto 40th and the rain was in our faces and going under G-Man's canopy. He started screaming and crying and I was just trucking the 1/2 block to the hotel as fast as I dared with flip flops on wet cement while pushing a crying baby in a stroller with one hand and an umbrella in the other.

This whole adventure lasted about 5 minutes from start to finish, and G-Man was in the rain for maybe 60 seconds and this is what he looks like:

I'll spare you a picture of me. Let me just say that the umbrella didn't help much when we rounded the corner. And I was more concerned with getting the screaming child to the hotel than keeping my umbrella over my head. We are back in the hotel room watching the Olympics/Baby Signing Time until we can get back to our original agenda...

Our lovely view


LL said...

you have had quite an adventure!
enjoy the rest of the trip and be safe.

Grammy said...

This weekend has been quite the adventure - what's next? :)

Yvonne said...

Goodness that is some serious rain.

Poor little G-man--and poor little mom.

Michal said...

i love the picture of your view. sorry about the rain, but at least it made for a good story.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin