Tuesday, April 22, 2008

American Idol - Top 6

We're a little late with the post tonight because I'm watching this week from the Intermountain West. But, I got to watch most of the show with my family like I used to when I lived here. And that was awesome.

Andrew Lloyd Webber all night long. Ugh. (He will be hereafter known as ALW.)


Syesha Mercado - "One Rock and Roll Too Many"
This song is from Starlight Express. One of the ALW shows that I can actually say I like. She looks awesome and she sounds great on this song. (I've actually seen the show already except this performance and I'm kind of surprised they put her first. It was one of the best performances of the night. Maybe they're trying to throw everyone off.)



David Archuleta - "Think of Me"
This is Christine's song from The Phantom of the Opera. I'll be honest, I thought this was going to be absolutely ghastly. The only thing that I thought was going to make it okay was that he was placed in the second half of the show.

Best ALW quote: "I have two pieces of advice for you. The first is open your eyes. The second is open your eyes....Little David must keep his eyes open. No one wants to watch someone whose eyes are closed all the time."

YES!!! What have I been saying?! Ha! Okay. Back to David.

He was working very hard to keep his eyes open while he sang. I loved the arrangement. I get very excited when he has great arrangements because I know my vocal coach Dean was helping him and that makes me feel happy and a little bit like I know someone famous. :) I was surprised at how much I liked this performance. Because I hate this song. HATE it. The judges like it too. Except Simon. I heartily disagree with Simon on this one. ALW gave a standing ovation too.

P.S. Emily - he did forget the lyrics again. Good catch. He made up some new ones that fit pretty well though.


Carly Smithson - "Jesus Christ Superstar"
I am SO glad she didn't sing All I Ask of You. I would have broken out into hives if I had heard her sing that entire song. Why? Because a) I don't like it and b) I would have hated her singing it. Big thanks to ALW for making her switch to "Superstar." And as I said to my family, Jesus Christ Superstar is one of ALW's best musicals and I would love it more if I didn't think it was so sacreligious. It makes me seriously uncomfortable in spots. But Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat doesn't bother me. I don't know why. (Someone should have done a song from that show.) Carly yelled in tune and I thought she had fun and I liked it. I also liked that she had pretty hair, a nice dress, good makeup and long sleeves on her dress. The t-shirt was a bit much. I did not like that.



David Cook - "Music of the Night"
I groaned loudly when I heard what he was singing. If there is a song I dislike more than "Think of Me," it is this song. It's overdone and I don't like Michael Crawford's voice. I always skipped over it when I listened to the Phantom soundtrack. Even when I was obsessed with Phantom at age 16.

That said, I cheered on the big note. ("let your soul take you where you want to be!") He sang it full voice. That was impressive and he sounded great. I like the little liberties he took with the melody and he KILLED the ending. Killed it.

Seacrest - You are lame. Stop singing. Just stop.


The Others:
Jason Castro - "Memory"
Quote of the Night: "I didn't know a cat sang it."
Ummm...it's from the musical Cats. Who did you think was singing it?
This should not have been sung by anyone tonght, in my opinion. It's too famous. If anyone was going to do it, he's going to be the most different sounding from Betty Buckley. Paula is stupid. Simon is laughing at her. Simon was right. It was yucky.

Brooke White - "You Must Love Me"
This is a new song from Evita written for the movie version for Madonna. A good choice for Brooke. They have similar vocal ranges and it's a very emotional song. I thought her time with ALW was good. It was good to stop her and make her really concentrate on the words and understand the context of the song. Every song should have that kind of storytelling behind it, in my opinion. Yikes. She stopped and started over when she biffed the words. And then she was nervous. She's just too nervous all the time. Simon was right. Her voice is way too tense. Poor Brooke. This could have been a great one for her, but I'm afraid she's going to be in the bottom three again. She'll probably be safe this week because she is the new pick over at Vote for the Worst. They are loving that she forgot the words and started over.

------------------------------------

Bottom 3? I think Jason Castro and Brooke White for sure. I think the third spot is a toss up between Syesha Mercado and Carly Smithson.

Going home? Jason Castro. I would have possibly said Brooke (Not because I don't love her, but because I think she had a rough night and she's been in the bottom 3 twice already. I do think she is great - Carolyn and Whitney don't get mad at me! Keep voting for her!) but since Vote for the Worst picked Brooke, I think she's going to be okay and Jason is going home.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I said the exact same thing about Jason Castro and his cat comment. Seriously?! Did you even look at what show this song was from, Jason? Time to go home.

Sarah Jane said...

macy...call me. this is Kenneth and Sarah. What do you know about Gibbons middle school in westborough??? Do you have my Number? email me if not!! (there is an opening:)

Miranda J said...

I didn't get to watch Brooke. I voted for her -- well my husband text messaged for her for me about 15 times. If she can just get through this contest on to her career, she'll be fine. What happened? NERVES. They are a problem. Hurray Vote for the Worst!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin