Wednesday, April 23, 2008

American Idol - Top 6 Results

Results show! My dad keeps teasing me and trying to tell me who was kicked off because I wasn't home when the show was on. I threatened to leave the room and he calmed down. Now, on to the show!
  • ALW is playing the piano for the kids. They are singing "All I Ask of You" from Phantom. This was Carly's original choice to perform yesterday, but as you remember, ALW steered her in another direction. We obviously needed to save this song so it could be sung tonight. Blech...Me no likey.
  • Recap of last night. I think the lesson we should learn from last night is that as singers, you need to connect to the lyrics of a song and use them to tell a story. If you can't do that, people don't want to listen to you. And if you think about the singers that have lasted the ages, they are the ones that are great storytellers.
  • Interview with ALW. I guess since he can't sing, he gets to talk to Seacrest. ALW is gesturing wildly while he talks. I'm not sure what this is about.
  • ALW said Brooke did a great job at dress rehearsal and that she was just fine to start over with her performance. And he said the judges lost their way a few times last night too.
Commercial Break. Boo doop, boo doop! While you are watching commercials, go over to Whitney's blog and read this post she wrote about the American Idol judges. It's pretty awesome.
  • Our comment when we saw the kids' hair for the Ford commercial was a unanimous "wow." Especially when we saw Brooke's hair. Were we trying to re-make Aha's "Take on Me?" Not a bad commercial.
  • American Idol stamps? Seriously?
  • President Bush and Mrs. Bush? Seriously?
First Set of Results:
What's up your tricksy sleeve tonight Seacrest?

David Cook and David Archuleta are out first. Blah, blah, talking, talking, blah. Simon was eating a sweet and couldn't answer a question. Blah, blah. More talking.

And they're both safe. Not surprising, but I'm relieved to have them both safe right off the bat.
  • Montage tribute to Broadway and all the AI kids that have found success on Broadway. (Frenchie Davis, Diana DeGarmo, Fantasia....) It's pretty amazing when you look at it the percentage of them that have been in Broadway shows. The focus was on Tamyra Gray who is playing Mimi in Rent and on Clay Aiken who is playing Sir Robin in Spamalot. Fun piece.
  • Leona Lewis is singing. She's pretty amazing. Simon was beaming when he introduced her. As he should be. He's making a lot of money off her right now.
More Results!
Here come Syesha Mercado and Brooke White. Syesha had fun. Brooke still thinks she should have started over. I agree.

Brooke is safe. Oh, you kids over at Vote for the Worst. You did it again. Thanks for saving someone I care about.

I do feel badly for Syesha. She did a great job. But as Paula said, she's been in the bottom before.

Final Set of Results:
Jason Castro and Carly Smithson are the final two on the stage. I'm not sure what Jason is smoking, but wow. He's trippin'.

Jason is safe. I'm laughing hysterically right now. Can't believe it.

Carly is in the bottom two. Wow. And now they both have to sing. We don't have to listen to the call-in segment, so I'm cool with that. I'm fast forwarding this section either way, so it makes no difference to me. I did see that sassy Syesha walked into the audience and sang. I'm liking her more every week.
------------------
Waiting for the results. The judges say it was a popularity vote this week because they both sang well last night. True.

38 million votes later.....Carly is going home. I'm genuinely shocked by this one. I didn't think she was going to win, but I didn't think she'd go home this soon. She'll be fine. I'm sure she'll get another record deal. And maybe she'll sell more than 500 albums this time. (Ouch! Sorry.)

Now that I'm watching the package back of her highlights, I think the t-shirt may have done her in last night. It really bugged me. Maybe it bugged America too.

2 comments:

Nana said...

Although I liked Carly, I am always offended by that song. I wondered when she sang it if she was taking a chance on offending too many people..the opposite of whoever it was that sang "I'm proud to be an american".
She is beautiful, and more of a rocker than most, I'm sure she will go on to record.

Macy said...

Excellent, excellent point. I didn't even think about that. I'll bet that played a huge role in her getting fewer votes this week.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin