Monday, January 7, 2008

The Denver Airport, Part 3 (The Kindness of Others)

As I was driving home from the airport, I noticed that a lot of the snow had melted. I'd been through a lot the last couple of days and the last obstacle was our driveway. Our town does a marvelous job removing snow from the streets, but because we live on the cul-de-sac, we end up with a huge berm of snow in front of our mailbox and our driveway. Oh, and our driveway is a hill. I knew that if it had snowed while we had been away, I wouldn't be able to get up the driveway and into the garage. And since I was alone with the baby, I wouldn't be able to shovel my way in. So, I was hoping all the way home that the snow had melted.


It didn't. Thus, the sobbing once I arrived home.

I just sat there parked at the end of the driveway and looked at the snow trying to figure out what to do. G-Man was hungry, so I bundled him up and hiked through the snow. I called Diggity in tears and started feeding the baby. Of course, he wouldn't eat. (He's going through a lovely stage where he won't eat any food I give him in a spoon. I have to feed him with my fingers if I want him to eat anything. Including baby food. It's awesome.)

I was going to leave the luggage in the car, but I needed stuff from the bags to go to bed and to put G-Man to bed. After his non-dinner, I rolled G-Man's highchair in front of the TV and turned on Little Einsteins so I could get the luggage in. If you haven't carried luggage over a 2 foot berm of snow and through 4 inches of snow up a hill, you're missing out.

Diggity saved the day and called our home teachers to come help me by shoveling the driveway. After Diggity's call, I heard a motor start outside. I went down to the garage with G-Man to find that my two home teachers were outside, but so were two of my neighbors! My neighbor across the street (who must have seen me come home or dragging luggage or something like that) had a 4-wheeler with a plow and was pushing snow while my home teachers and my neighbor from up the street were shoveling. I started crying again. It was just so nice. I felt really blessed and grateful.

We were both sick and so tired the next day, but we had a clean driveway and I have a new resolution as a result - pay better attention to the needs of those around me. Especially my neighbors. My friend Whitney's website is going to be a great resource.

3 comments:

Yvonne said...

I'm so glad you had help when you got home. That had to be so tough.

I love your friend's website. What a great thing.

Team Pettijohn said...

Wow...what an ordeal. I was ready to cry from frustration right along with you. It can be hard traveling with a baby without all the obsticles, put those into the equation and you have every right to bawl your eyes out. I was about ready to lose it a few times on our way over here...when out of the blue there would be someone there to help me. When we were in Japan, a cute little Chinese lady took Hazel out of my arms and carried her through security while I loaded the stroller and bags on the belt. Even though I was nervous with a stranger holding my baby, I was so grateful for the help. Well I'm glad to know you are surrounded with good people who are there for you.

Unknown said...

oh macey! I know that feeling...the kind of sobbing where you know it isn't the end of the world,but you feel like is!!!! Hang in there! It is cool to know that I could visualize what you were talking about cause i have seen your house. way to go hometeacher!!! ---sarah jane

Blog Widget by LinkWithin