Sunday, September 16, 2007

Day of Rest?

Here's how today went at our house:

6:18 a.m. G-Man wakes up and wants to eat. I give him a bottle and put him back to bed so I can sleep a little longer as I may succumb to a cold any second. (My eye is infected already. It's ugly. It makes me think of how my dad says that you get a sty in your eye from peeing in the road. Those of you who know my dad are smiling right now. I know you are.)

9:10 a.m. G-Man wakes up again. We begrudgingly do the same. (And on my first weigh in since before our trip to Germany am happy to find that I have lost 6 pounds. Now I'll actually exercise this week because I have experienced some success!)

9:15 a.m. Adults eat breakfast

9:25 a.m. I start making dessert for our dinner after church while simultaneously making a salad for the neighborhood party that was supposed to be yesterday and has been rescheduled for today. We promise a salad, we provide a salad.

9:45 a.m. Diggity helps out by embarking on the "fun" process of trying to feed a baby that can't quite sit up straight in a high chair. Also making this process more exiting - a baby that can't hold still and insists on looking at everything in the room before collapsing onto his highchair tray and sucking on the lip of the tray.

10:05 a.m. Diggity has to quit because the baby is just making the whole feeding process way too hard. And he has a meeting at our church at 11:00 a.m. and has to drive 25 minutes to get there and he still has to shower and gather supplies for the lesson he is teaching today.

10:10-10:40 a.m. Diggity completes the above tasks while I continue to make brownies, hot fudge and salad, clean up the baby and finish preparations for our ward choir.

10:42 a.m. Diggity leaves for his meeting carrying two bags full of supplies for meetings today.

10:43-11:15 a.m. I continue with ward choir stuff, dress the baby for church, take a super fast shower and try to find something to wear that looks halfway decent

11:15 a.m. G-Man and I leave for church because ward choir starts at 12:10 and I am the new director. I have to make photo copies. We have to get there early.

11:40 a.m. G-Man fell asleep on the car ride. At least he is getting some rest. I try to carry my two bags and his car seat into the church building and barely succeed. I make copies.

12:08 p.m. Copies made, ready for ward choir members to show up.

12:10 p.m G-Man wakes up. (Grrrrr....afternoon church is crummy for naps.)

12:20 p.m. First four members of choir show up. I should have sent out another reminder e-mail.

12:50 p.m. Ward choir ends. We ended up with about 10 people. Not bad for no reminder e-mail.

1:00 p.m. Sacrament Meeting starts. (It was a GREAT meeting. Brother McQuivey was our speaker and he is amazing.)

1:10 p.m. Hungry baby that is grunting loudly as he is filling his diaper while eating his bottle. Out to the foyer we go.

1:30 p.m. Bottle done. Change diaper.

2:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m. The rest of church is a blur of trying to get G-Man to sleep, waiting in line for new temple recommends, drool, Diggity teaching his lesson, etc.

4:15 p.m. Race home to deliver the salad to the neighborhood picnic

4:40-5:30 p.m. Get home, finish salad, to outside and say hi and introduce G-Man to all the neighbors who haven't met him. Try to leave several times, but keep running into more of our wonderful neighbors who want to tell us what a handsome boy we have. (We were reminded by one neighbor that it was last year's neighborhood gathering where we told everyone we were expecting! Weird.)

5:30 p.m. Race to have dinner with our cousins. (It was delicious. They are very sweet to feed us on a regular basis. We would love them regardless, but they make it even easier to do so when giving us fantastic food.)

7:10 p.m. Coundown to the Emmys has started. Portia de Rossi has a cool dress (makes me think of Chunga and Mister again..."Give her back!") and I can see Felicity Huffman's ribs.

7:15 p.m. The whining baby needs to go home.

7:30 p.m. Party still in full swing in front of our house. We go outside to collect our salad bowl and stand by the fire with our neighbors. We have a fun new neighbor that stays at home with her one year old little boy.

8:00 p.m. Back inside, trying to feed the kid dinner. After the antics of the morning, we try the Bumbo seat (have you seen these? They are awesome.) and that doesn't work either. We finally resort to the bouncy seat. I'm giving up on the highchair until he can sit up unsupported.

8:30 p.m. Cleaned up kid is in his new fuzzy pajamas (it is cold here tonight!) and in bed.

8:32 p.m. Diggity and I collapse on the couch in front of the TV. Emmys, Patriots and Red Sox on the same night. Good stuff.

Ironically, Diggity's lesson today was about the Sabbath and that we should use that day to spiritually rest and recharge for the week. We are going to get up earlier next Sunday. Maybe then we can get some rest.

Habit report: So, as you see from today's schedule, I didn't get up before 8:00 a.m. this morning. But I did get into bed by 11:04. And I'm heading to bed to lay down right now.


Yvonne said...

I always laugh that it's termed a "day of rest" ; ) Crazy day might be better.

By the way, I gave you an award--check out my blog.

Ace said...

Day of Rest, INDEED! Feel free to take tomrrow off. I'm giving you permission.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin